Berberine is kind of new to us in the U.S.A. but. it’s been a part of Ayurvedic and Chinese herbal medicine for centuries. It is an alkaloid chemical that can be found in many herbs:
- Barberry (Berberis vulgaris), Berberis integerrima. Berbamine and berberine are found in the plant barberry.
- Coptis chinensis or Berberis aristata
- Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis)
- Oregon Grape (Berberis aquifolium)
- Phellodendron Amurense
- Yerba mansa (Anemopsis californica).
Berberine can be used for many purposes:
- Diabetes: In a head to head study against the main, basic diabetic drug, Metformin, berberine worked just as well with fewer side effects. Some people get constipated on berberine. This can be treated with high dosed magnesium. The dose used in the study was 500m.g. 2X/day.
- High blood pressure: The above mentioned study showed a decrease in blood pressure of 7mmHg systolic and 5mmHg diastolic.
- Dyslipidemia: The same study showed 500m.g. of Berberine twice per day, lowered triglycerides by 35.9%, total cholesterol by 18% and LDL by 21%.
- Arrhythmia: Berberine has been found effective in the treatment of cardiac arrhythmia like paroxysmal atrial tachycardia.
- Cancer: A recent study suggests Berberine may be effective for prevention and treatment of cancer like prostate cancer and leukemia.
- Infection: Berberine has been found effective in the treatment of all types of infection. Berberine extracts have shown antimicrobial activity against a variety of organisms including bacteria, viruses, fungi, protozoans, helminths, and chlamydia. The current main use of berberine is to treat bacterial diarrhea, intestinal parasite infections, and trachoma infections of the eye.
Berberine may be a very good anti-aging supplement too. The reason it has so many good effects is because it works through a very ancient and basic metabolic regulator called AMP, activated protein kinase (AMPK) http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/ampk-master-metabolic-regulator.html
Berberine is a little difficult to find because it is new to us in our country. So we have a good quality of it at the clinic at a competitive price.