Lowering Cholesterol Naturally
The healthiest way to lower your cholesterol profile is a low carb diet and exercise. If you have not improved your cholesterol profile enough with diet and exercise, the next step I would suggest is trying supplements. The good thing about these natural ways of cholesterol lowering is that the side effects are typically benefits.
- LipiControl- This is a combination of several cholesterol lowering nutrients. It usually works in resistant cases and some folks only need half of a dose to get their cholesterol to goal. The drawback is that at full dose it costs $50.00 per month.
- Niacin (B3, not Niacinamide)- This vitamin in high doses significantly improves cholesterol profiles and is cheap. A typical useful dose is 3000mg per day in divided doses. The reason it is not used very often is because of the side effect; skin flushing. Even taking one will cause the most remarkable blushing you have ever experienced. People usually start at lower doses and gradually increase the dose as they become accustomed. At each increased dosage level, it may take a few days before you are no longer flushing and can proceed to the next higher level. These symptoms can be reduced by taking aspirin or antihistamines temporarily. It will also cause less flushing if you take the Niacin with meals. The flushing is totally harmless; however, many people freak out after first dose and refuse to take anymore. Even though I have taken it myself for over 25 years at high doses, I usually don’t recommend it because I know most people are not going to follow through with taking it.
- Timed Release Niacin- This is not as potent as plain niacin and more expensive but causes less flushing. The limit is 1,500mg/day total.
- Omega 3 Oils- This will decrease triglycerides and increase good cholesterol (HDL) at high doses. Our EPA-DHA at 4 per day is the most cost effective way to do this and is very good for you in many other ways as well.
- Red Yeast Rice Extract– Brings down total cholesterol and LDL (bad cholesterol) and costs $22.00/ month at our office for the good stuff. Most Red Yeast supplements do not work because they are of poor quality. Our red yeast+ has 20 m.g. of astaxantan added. One of it’s many effects is to decrease triglycerides and increase good cholesterol. This dose alone would cost as much as the red yeast but is included for free.
Sources- lippicontrol and niacin can be purchased at a discount at our virtual dispensery. Timed release and regular niacin are available at the clinic. DHA-EPA and red yeast+ are custom manufactured for Innovative Medicine; available only at the clinic.
Testing- you cannot assume that the method you have chosen to lower cholesterol is actually working unless you recheck your blood levels in a couple of months.